ARMED TO FARM: SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE TRAINING FOR VETERANS
Event Date: February 18, 2021 - December 31, 2021
How Can ATTRA Help You?
Farmers and ranchers are looking for reliable information on sustainable and organic agriculture, on how to get started in farming, on how to qualify for government programs that reward land stewardship and resource conservation, and on how to pursue such profitable niche markets as organic meats and grains or agriculture tourism. The answers to these and many other similar questions are available free from ATTRA - Sustainable Agriculture, a program of the nonprofit National Center for Appropriate Technology (NCAT).
ATTRA publications cover a wide range of topics, including:
• Horticultural crops
• Field crops
• Soils and composts
• Pest management
• Irrigation, water conservation, and water quality issues
• Livestock production
• Grass farming
• Marketing and business strategies
• Market gardening
• Risk management
• Agricultural energy
• Organic certification, production, and marketing
to view a complete list of our publications. Most are available to download in PDF format.
ATTRA offers free, online courses that include a variety of educational tools such as worksheets, narrated PowerPoint presentations, videos, and tip sheets. Titles include:
• Produce Safety
• Soil Health
• Managed Grazing
• Farm Energy Efficiency
• Scaling Up for Regional Markets
• Sustainable Irrigation
• Ecological Pest Management
• Farm Business Planning & Marketing for Beginners
• Getting Started in Farming: An Introduction to Farm
ATTRA’s friendly staff members are knowledgeable about livestock, horticulture, agronomy, organic farming, marketing, farm energy, and many other sustainable agriculture topics, and are available to provide free assistance.
ATTRA offers several ways producers can contact an agriculture specialist, who will research questions and send the client a report, including sources of more information.
• Call ATTRA at 1-800-346-9140 (English) or 1-800-411-3222 (Spanish)
• Use our online Ask A Sustainable Agriculture Expert form at https://attra.ncat.org/ask.php
• Text or email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition to more than 450 publications, ATTRA’s website contains webinars, videos, searchable databases, podcasts, and narrated PowerPoint presentations, plus tools to keep you up-to-date on what’s happening in sustainable agriculture:
• Calendar of events
• Funding opportunities
• Weekly Harvest e-news
• 1-800-346-9140 • www.attra.ncat.org
A program of the National Center for Appropriate Technology • 1-800-346-9140 • www.attra.ncat.org
NCAT has been involved in targeted veteran outreach and assistance since 2010. NCAT agriculture specialists have provided training and technical assistance to more than 2,400 military veterans interested in farming.
NCAT has partnered with the USDA Agricultural Research Service, Farmer Veteran Coalition, University of Arkansas, Growing Warriors, and other sustainable agriculture organizations to train veterans interested in sustainable agriculture careers.
The goals of Armed to Farm are:
• To train veterans and their partners to operate sustainable crop and livestock enterprises
• To create a network of veterans and their families who
are starting careers in sustainable agriculture
• To provide technical assistance to participants as they start and improve their farming operations
Trainings range in length from conference presentations, two-day workshops, and week-long training events. The multi-day programs include a mix of educational classes—covering topics such as risk management, business planning, and marketing— and hands-on activities at successful livestock, crop, and agritourism operations.
Funding for Armed to Farm has come from NCAT’s ATTRA
- Sustainable Agriculture program, USDA Rural Business
Cooperative Services, USDA Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program, USDA Risk Management Agency and Swords to Plowshares.
Armed to Farm: Sustainable Agriculture Training for Military Veterans
What participants say about Armed to Farm training:
“This was one of the best workshops, if not the best, in any field I have been involved in. It was a great mix of hands-on and classroom instruction. The instructors were very experienced and knowledgeable.”
“Armed to Farm gave me the tools to take my farm dream seriously and make it happen. I can’t say if I would have had the confidence to get it going without Armed to Farm.”
“Invaluable. I have hope of having a life again thanks to ATF.”
Armed to Farm attendees get plenty of hands-on experience, from building hoophouses to feeding pastured poultry.
Contact Robyn Metzger at 479-442-9824 or email@example.com
for more information about Armed to Farm trainings and other veteran resources available through ATTRA.
For information on upcoming training events, visit https://www.ncat.org/armedtofarm
Veteran Resources • IP494, Slot 507 • Updated March 2018 ©NCAT
Farmland, Farm Employment, and Training Program Locator for Veterans
This national database is a one-stop shop for information related to military veterans in agriculture:
• Farmers who want to employ veterans can list jobs
• Landowners who want to help veterans get started farming can list farmland available to veterans
• Organizations can list agriculture training programs for veterans
• Veterans who are already farming can list their farms
Help us connect farmers, veterans, and organizations with each other!
• Add a pin to our map by submitting your information through our online form
• View or add listings of upcoming trainings, conferences, and other events to our Veterans in Agriculture
Event Calendar: https://www.ncat.org/calendar
• Find farmland, farm employment, or training programs in your area: https://www.ncat.org/atf-map